Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Single Life


For some reason I haven't quite figured out, I decided to remove about 70 years of cycling innovation from my bike (except the hydraulic disc brakes). The gears came off and I've gotten the taste of the single life. It's hard to explain why I did it, why I like it, or why I'm thinking of a dedicated singlespeed bike.

It has taken a lot of the thinking out of biking. Either you pedal or you walk. If the road starts to go up, you pedal harder or you push. Somebody more clever than me described riding a singlespeed as "99% rider, 1% bike and 100% more fun". I never "got it" until I tried it. I'm looking forward to trying it on dedicated singletrack trails.

Anyway, here is how it went (the abbreviated version):

First, start with adequate beverages...

and hydrate.

Have the tools ready

Don't forget the drill (long story)

Thank the gears that have served you well,

and bid them farewell.

Take that off,

and put this on.

Sit back and enjoy your handiwork

First ride report coming up.

JRA

Scott S.

1 comment: