Sunday, February 22, 2009

My Best So Far

My wife and M

2:10:49

9th in my age group

244th out of 891 racers

How did that happen?

I'm still wondering.

Granted, not as "super fast" as M likes to go down hills in her sled, but pretty fast for a 35 year-old, slightly overweight man who is chronically under trained.


I don't know who this is, I just like the banner with the Red, White, and Blue in the background. Although, for anybody who's wondering how we dress for the weather, this guy exemplifies it.

My last post described a little of the work of waxing the skis prior to the race. I was admittedly nervous that my wax would not be right, which would mean a long and grueling slog through the Wisconsin Northwoods.

Instead, I nailed the wax, with some help from Swix.com. Ok, all credit needs to go to them, but I was the one that put it on the skis.

Ready to go

It was one of those days that everything was perfect and the race was over before I wanted it to end.

The wax was perfect: lightening fast on the downhills and perfect kick on the uphills.

The weather was perfect: teens at the start, warming to the low 20's by the finish.

The snow conditions were perfect: the new classic trail is great, the grooming exceptional, and the snow abundent.

The company was perfect: spending the weekend with my wife, daughter and dad help to make memories that will be looked back upon when I'm 90, pleasantly demented, and sitting in a nursing home.

We're off

I'll try to describe the weekend and race in detail a bit more in future posts, but I hope you enjoy some of the pictures. My wife took these by the way, and all artistic credit goes to her.

JRA

Scott S.

No comments:

Post a Comment