Sunday, March 22, 2009

Blue Mounds


We went down to Luverne this weekend to visit the In-Laws. I was able to drag the Crosshairs with and got in a nice ride. Went by Blue Mounds State Park and took some pictures.

At the Blue Mounds

The ride brought back memories of when we were living near Sioux Falls, SD; The springtime sweet smell of manure, the sour odor of pig farms, and miles and miles of plowed corn and bean fields. Good times.

I was told that you just have to look harder for the scenery in those parts, and it's true. It's pretty, but not "in your face" pretty like the lakes I ride around here. Although this was pretty good:

I waited for this to rise...


So I could see this:
















This is part of the Blue Mounds State Park. The state park is named after a linear escarpment of Precambrian Sioux Quartzite bedrock, which although pink in color, is said to have appeared blueish in the distance to early settlers. Parts of the cliff are up to 100 feet (30 m) high (Wikipedia). It's worth a stop if you're ever in the area.

I came across this road out there and it was a no-brainer that I was going to take it. It was a good decision. When riding these roads I start to daydream that I'm riding Trans-Iowa or when I'm really short on blood to the brain, that I'm riding Paris-Roubaix.

Should I?

Oh Yeah...


The ride was a mix of gravel and paved. It was good to get out and I was able to try out my new to me Nightrider light. It worked pretty good.

I got a ride in today (Sunday, the ride above was yesterday) but no pictures. I was able to get on the road bike and ride with some friends. With the wind the 17 miles felt like 25. Still a long ways to go to get ready for Almanzo and be able to avoid DFL.

JRA

Scott S.

No comments:

Post a Comment